Friday, February 10, 2012

How do I get rid of buildup of gunk on my hair straightener?

I've had my hair straightener for a while, and its gotten this buildup of stuff on the plates, most on the edges. Maybe its from hairspray, i dont know, but its really hard to get off, it almost has to be scraped off and i dont want to damage the plates. Its impairing how my straightener works Has anyone had this happen to your straightener and how did you get it off? Thanks!How do I get rid of buildup of gunk on my hair straightener?
I work in a salon and the girls use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to clean their flat irons. I've used it on mine and it works great. Don't use anything abrasive as it will scratch the coating and ruin your falt iron.How do I get rid of buildup of gunk on my hair straightener?
what you should do is go to any store(like wal*mart)and buy a magic eraser and when its not in use clean it with that.
Scrub it with fine steel wool. This is available from any hardware store.





And be careful. Steel wool can cut your skin quite easily. Place the steel wool on the plate, and place a face cloth over it to protect your hand. Then grab the two and scrub the plate.





It shouldn't take much force to clean the plate. When you have both of them clean, rub it down with another face cloth, to clean off whatever steel fragments might have dislodged from the pad. Then discard the steel wool in the trash, and put the face clothes in the wash.





Don't use the steel wool on any painted surfaces. It will scratch the paint terribly.
WD-40
i think its time for a new one =]]
The same thing happened to mine...it is from any product you put in your hair that gets stuck on the plates when you straighten your hair. I either gently scrape it off with my nail (when it is off of course), or if that doesn't work, take a damp cloth in hot water and wash the plates. The hot water will dissolve the buildup. Again, the straightener should be off. It worked for me...good luck!
i'd recommend ditching that one and getting a new one....





but if u want to keep that one...make sure ur straightner is unplugged and take bleach and alcohol and scrub the plates w/ a sponge (louffa textured) and then use q-tips to get in the creavices.


make sure it dries completely before using it again





or use a razor blade to scrape it off after putting a layer of soap (bar of regular soap will do) on it
Use some rubbing alcohol or look on the box it came in if you still have it and it should have cleaning instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment